Wednesday, September 06, 2023

Recommended Reading: "FIFTY YEARS OF McCARTHY ON TRADEMARKS"

The latest issue of the The Trademark Reporter includes a Commentary [pdf here]. by Professor J. Thomas McCarthy on the fiftieth anniversary of the publication of his treatise, McCarthy on Trademarks and Unfair Competition. The treatise has been relied on as an authority in over 8,000 judicial decisions, including in eighteen U.S. Supreme Court opinions.

"A number of people have asked me why and how I first came to write the book and what significant changes in trademark law I’ve seen over the past fifty years. In this Trademark Reporter
commentary, I respond . . . ."

Read comments and post your comment here.

TTABlogger comment: A truly remarkable achievement. Congratulations!

Text Copyright John L. Welch 2023.

7 Comments:

At 8:47 AM, Blogger Joe Dreitler said...

That book is what got me “into” trademark law. Bought it, and read it 3 times cover t cover. Of course, it was only 2 volumes at the time!!! Thanks for gift to all of us.

 
At 10:16 AM, Anonymous Dave Oppenhuizen said...

His treatise is an absolute godsend to trademark lawyers. It has raised the bar for expertise in the field of trademark law.

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger Carole Barrett said...

Professor McCarthy is a national treasure to those who practice trademark law. I count myself among the blessed.

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger Scott Brown said...

Great read.

 
At 10:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! What would we do without McCarthy's? Thank you for your continued devotion to our practice area. I agree - a true gift to us all!

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger TMAttorneyHeller said...

I have 1984 two hard back volume plus the 6 binder volume of his works on my book shelf. Had an earlier hard back set which I gave to another lawyer when he was setting up his own practice. It has always been my go to reference. Congratulations on 50 years!!!

 
At 4:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its a great work. Helpful would be an understatement. The only challenger is when McCarthy takes the stand for your opposing party. Even more the go to reference after the experience.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home