TTAB Seeks Applicants for Attorney Advisor (Interlocutory Attorney) Positions
The USPTO is seeking applications for the position of Attorney Advisor (and more specifically, Interlocutory Attorney) at the TTAB. Reportedly, there are two openings. The detailed announcement may be found here.
Job Title: Attorney Advisor (Trademark) (EX)
Department: Department Of Commerce
Agency: Patent and Trademark Office
Job Announcement Number: TTA-2016-0002
This position is located in the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB). The TTAB is an administrative tribunal within the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) that hears and decides trial level adversary proceedings involving two or more parties. These include oppositions (party opposes an application to register a mark after publication in the Gazette), cancellations (party seeks to cancel an existing registration), and concurrent use proceedings. The TTAB also hears and decides appeals from final refusals issued by USPTO Trademark Examining Attorneys following examination of applications to register marks.
* * * * * * * *
As an attorney for a particular case or legal issue the incumbent is responsible for promoting the efficient disposition of litigation before the TTAB. Specifically, the incumbent:
- Analyzes the legal issue in question, develops the strategy to deal with the legal issue, and determines the content and means of delivery of the completed analysis of the legal issue.
- Handles interlocutory matters in oppositions, cancellations and concurrent use cases at the TTAB, including mentoring and coaching others, and is recognized as an expert in the procedural and substantive aspects of the law.
- Independently decides and issues orders on all procedural and substantive motions that are not potentially dispositive of the proceeding, such as motions to amend pleadings, motions to compel and motions to strike evidence.
- Consults with and drafts decisions for Administrative Trademark Judges on all procedural and substantive motions that are potentially dispositive of the proceeding, such as motions to dismiss, motions for judgment on the pleadings, and motions for summary judgment.
- Deals with Administrative Trademark Judges and the top management of the TTAB, as well as the top management and/or attorneys of other private and public organizations.
Read comments and post your comment here.
Text Copyright John L. Welch 2016.