Trademark Public Advisory Committee (TPAC) Webcast Tomorrow
The Trademark Public Advisory Committee (TPAC) will webcast its meeting tomorrow, May 7, beginning at 9:00 EST. [Details here.] Commissioner Lynne Beresford will discuss various topics in the 9:35 to 11:05 time slot, including this one: "ensuring accurate descriptions of goods and services (i.e., minimizing deadwood), especially in the wake of the Federal Circuit decision in In re Bose Corp." TTAB Acting Chief Judge Gerard F. Rogers is scheduled to appear from 10:10 to 11:30 to discuss the TTAB-related topics listed below:
- Brief report on current TTAB speed statistics and case volume statistics.
- TBMP issues:
- Status report on getting TBMP up to date in HTML and keeping it easily searchable and in HTML.
- Report on plans for frequency of TBMP updates after this revision.
- Discussion of obtaining non-TTAB-judge resources to help with future revisions of the TBMP.
- Report on recent developments with ACR, if any.
- When will “plug-and-play” procedural options be made available to potential users of ACR?
- Update on recent TTAB actions regarding cases that have lingered on the docket for a very long time.
- Status report on preparing a request for comments on:
- A possible, alternative fast-track for TTAB opposition and cancellation cases.
- Making the TTAB more assertive in encouraging settlement.
- Possible limits on consented extensions.